Healthy Crockpot Hamburger Potato Casserole
Do you need a fresh and simple meal idea for those busy weeknights? Here is a lighter take on a classic recipe that the whole family will love! This Hamburger Potato Casserole recipe is budget-friendly, easy to make, and has a taste similar to au gratin potatoes with beef. Pair with a mixed green garden salad, broccoli, or roasted green beans for a balanced meal that won’t break the calorie bank. A bonus to this recipe is that it’s a great meal for weight loss, people with diabetes and those who are on a low-cholesterol diet when served with a high-fiber vegetable on the side! The low-sodium ingredients in this recipe also work well for individuals with hypertension.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 4 hours
- 3-4 small russet potatoes
- 2 lbs. 93/7 lean ground beef – browned (or substitute lean ground turkey)
- 2 cans low sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup 1% milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups of reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1. Brown the ground beef and set aside.
2. Peel and slice potatoes and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup, milk, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well then aside.
4. Coat the crock pot with non-stick spray.
5. Layer the pan with potatoes, beef, soup, and cheese. Then repeat. Top with remaining cheese.
6. Place lid on top.
7. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the potatoes are soft.
8. Turn off the crock pot and allow it to cool slightly (about 10 minutes). This will allow the casserole to thicken.
This recipe can easily be switched up to make it your own. Here are a few ideas to change this recipe to make it work for your family!
- Try using ground chicken or ground turkey. Sometimes these are more affordable than ground beef and they still taste great in this recipe.
- Substitute beans for ground meat for a vegetarian option.
- Add in your favorite vegetables to make it a one-pot meal! Green beans or peas would be delicious mixed in with this casserole recipe.
Calories 279, Carbohydrates 17g, Protein 17g, Total Fat 15g, Saturated Fat 6g, Cholesterol 50mg, Sodium 489mg, Potassium 684mg, Fiber 2g, Sugar 1g, Vitamin A 155IU, Vitamin C 12.1mg, Calcium 155mg, Iron 4.8mg
Recipe author: Eating on a Dime
Meet Britney West, MS, RD, LD
Would you like guidance from a Registered Dietitian to create healthy and mindful eating habits? Schedule an appointment with Britney West today by clicking here or texting (469) 382-3548!
Regardless of the date published, no content on this website should ever be used as a replacement for direct medical advice from your primary care provider or another qualified clinician.