A women’s well-check exam is the best way to maintain an overall healthy lifestyle and catch or prevent certain medical conditions and diseases that may arise. These annual check-ups, offered by the family doctors of Plano Village Health Partners, include breast exams, heart and lung screening, a cholesterol screening, skin screenings, pap smears, and bone-mineral density screenings. Additionally, basic lab and urine screenings can also be conducted. Furthermore, patients can choose particular gynecology and wellness services depending on their needs, including STD testing, fertility evaluation and any physician-ordered bloodwork. The Plano, TX family doctors at Village Health Partners will also look at high or low blood pressure and other screenings to monitor whether medication or a diet change is necessary.
What is included?
Annual health check-ups are strongly recommended and can include any or all of the following preventative tests:
- Breast exams should take place annually from age 20, and mammograms should be received annually from age 40.
- Heart health can be monitored during your regular annual check-up. A cholesterol screening should be taken in your early twenties then repeated every 5 years until the age of 45. If you have a cholesterol level over 200, have a family history of heart disease or are 45 and older, annual cholesterol screenings are recommended.
- Annual skin screenings are important for early detection of melanoma, the second most common cancer for women. If you are at high risk based on lifestyle, personal medical history or skin conditions, mole and freckle screenings are recommended twice a year.
- Pap smears are recommended every 1-2 years from age 21 depending on lifestyle and personal health history.
- Bone-mineral density screenings should begin at age 65 and reoccur every 5 years afterward to diagnose and manage the risk of osteoporosis.
"Dr. Nguy was awesome! This is my first time seeing her and she was attentive, thoughtful, thorough. The clinic as a whole was nice and check in was a smooth process. I was seen at my appointment time with no delays."- M.H. / ZocDoc / Sep 20, 2023
"I highly recommend Dr. Yao. He's knowledgeable, knows how to communicate effectively and is empathetic."- M.A. / Google / Sep 17, 2023
"I had a really poor experience with my previous primary care provider, a doctor that seemed to only care about money and coldly spending the bare minimum time with me just to get through our appointment and move onto the next one on their busy schedule. I am glad to have met Ms. Billingsley as she was everything my last doctor was not. She is kind and genuinely caring of my health, all while being extremely knowledgeable and patient with any questions or concerns I may have. I only wish I could have seen her sooner."- K.N. / Google / Sep 17, 2023
"Dr. Fullington is a thoroughly delightful, accomplished, & attentive practitioner. Not only was he mindful of my physical health, he was most compassionate about my mental well being . . . he actually LISTENED to me. What a refreshing experience!!"- K.S. / Healthgrades / Sep 15, 2023
"My doctors appointment today was with the nurse practitioner for the first time with this office. She was amazing. I love this office. My last doctor was ok but I communication with them was a challenge and they never responded to the portal even though I had to use it. These guys embrace new technology for communication but have kept a human connection which is a tough challenge. I cannot recommend this office more. I don’t think I have ever been as impressed with a medical office as I am with this place. I see Dr. Ennis but everyone I have met is great."- D.D. / Google / Sep 14, 2023
Common Health Issues
Healthy Tips for Women
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle with balanced nutrition and regular exercise are important factors for overall wellness. Our Plano doctors also recommend:
- Take a daily women’s multivitamin that includes calcium and iron. Calcium help maintains bone density, and iron can prevent anemia. Recommended daily values vary based on age and pregnancy.
- Protect your skin. Wear sunscreen and preventative clothing outdoors.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking can cause health problems like lung cancer and fertility issues.
- Heart disease is the number one cause of death for women. Help your heart by de-stressing, exercising regularly and limiting salt intake.
Make Wellness a Priority
Our medical practice houses some of the top women’s health specialists. We want to prevent any unforeseen medical conditions as well as tackle any diagnosis, which is why we recommend annual women’s wellness check-ups. Our medical team is to guide patients through developing a healthier lifestyle and overall wellness.
Plan Your Visit
- Average Procedure Time
- 1 Hour
What Your Provider Wants You To Know About Cologuard
Learn about a non-invasive option for your colon cancer screening here.Read
What is primary care?
Primary care is a vital part of healthcare! Learn what your primary care physician does to help you achieve whole-person wellness.Read
Why Your Doctor Wants to See You More Than Once a Year
Have you had your annual physical this year? As a senior, here is why your doctor wants to see you more than once a year.Read
What Women Can Do To Take Charge of Their Health
Have you wondered what the most important things are women can do to be healthier? Learn what actions you can take and the importance of each one!Read