A women’s well-check exam is the best way to maintain an overall healthy lifestyle and catch or prevent certain medical conditions and diseases that may arise. These annual check-ups, offered by the family doctors of Plano Village Health Partners, include breast exams, heart and lung screening, a cholesterol screening, skin screenings, pap smears, and bone-mineral density screenings. Additionally, basic lab and urine screenings can also be conducted. Furthermore, patients can choose particular gynecology and wellness services depending on their needs, including STD testing, fertility evaluation and any physician-ordered bloodwork. The Plano, TX family doctors at Village Health Partners will also look at high or low blood pressure and other screenings to monitor whether medication or a diet change is necessary.
What is included?
Annual health check-ups are strongly recommended and can include any or all of the following preventative tests:
- Breast exams should take place annually from age 20, and mammograms should be received annually from age 40.
- Heart health can be monitored during your regular annual check-up. A cholesterol screening should be taken in your early twenties then repeated every 5 years until the age of 45. If you have a cholesterol level over 200, have a family history of heart disease or are 45 and older, annual cholesterol screenings are recommended.
- Annual skin screenings are important for early detection of melanoma, the second most common cancer for women. If you are at high risk based on lifestyle, personal medical history or skin conditions, mole and freckle screenings are recommended twice a year.
- Pap smears are recommended every 1-2 years from age 21 depending on lifestyle and personal health history.
- Bone-mineral density screenings should begin at age 65 and reoccur every 5 years afterward to diagnose and manage the risk of osteoporosis.
"Dr John Moon is fantastic!!! We've been going to him for years and just think the world of him."- M.B. / Facebook / Jun 27, 2014
"Dr. Sander Gothard was recommend to me by a family friend. Very pleased they told me about him. I am now blessed for having Dr. Gothard has my physician; he is professional, courteous, great bedside manners, takes times to go over test results and answer questions, he listens to your concerns. One of the many things that makes him a great doctor is that he does not push pills/medications, instead discussing not only the best options for the needed care, but also the plan to get you healthy again. If you like having quick access to things; his practice offers the option to use their app to retrieve results, correspond with them and more. If not, the office staff provides good customer service. Dr. Gothard’s medical assistant is Bre, she too is courteous and professional. Dr. Gothard and Bre make a great team. I have recommended Dr. Gothard to many people I know. He deserves more than 5 stars. The world needs more physicians like him. I highly recommend Dr. Sander Gothard."- O.C. / Google / Jan 11, 2022
"Always a great experience! I first met Laura while going to Dr. John Moon and she has pretty much become my main healthcare provider! She is very professional yet kind and very knowledgeable! She absolutely cares about you as a person and feel confident that an attribute like that along with experience and knowledge is a winning combination!!"- L.H. / Google / Jan 08, 2022
"I’ve had Dr. Wien and his associate physicians & physician assistants as my primary care providers for almost 9 years. Through my ever-changing schedules, jobs, their offices moving at one point- then Covid- the consistency of patient care was never compromised. Friendly, efficient, knowledgeable and communicative, I recommend Dr. Wien and all of Village Health Partners to friends, family and now- strangers! Thank you to all at VHP for taking such good care of your patients."- C.C. / Google / Dec 31, 2021
"Dr.Hewitt is absolutely the best doctor I have ever had!"- C.D. / Google / Dec 29, 2021
Common Health Issues
Healthy Tips for Women
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle with balanced nutrition and regular exercise are important factors for overall wellness. Our Plano doctors also recommend:
- Take a daily women’s multivitamin that includes calcium and iron. Calcium help maintains bone density, and iron can prevent anemia. Recommended daily values vary based on age and pregnancy.
- Protect your skin. Wear sunscreen and preventative clothing outdoors.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking can cause health problems like lung cancer and fertility issues.
- Heart disease is the number one cause of death for women. Help your heart by de-stressing, exercising regularly and limiting salt intake.
Make Wellness a Priority
Our medical practice houses some of the top women’s health specialists. We want to prevent any unforeseen medical conditions as well as tackle any diagnosis, which is why we recommend annual women’s wellness check-ups. Our medical team is to guide patients through developing a healthier lifestyle and overall wellness.
Plan Your Visit
- Average Procedure Time
- 1 Hour
Why Your Doctor Wants to See You More Than Once a Year
Have you had your annual physical this year? As a senior, here is why your doctor wants to see you more than once a year.Read
What your doctor wants you to know about Cologuard
Learn about a non-invasive option for your colon cancer screening here.Read
What Women Can Do To Take Charge of Their Health
Have you wondered what the most important things are women can do to be healthier? Learn what actions you can take and the importance of each one!Read
What is primary care?
Primary care is a vital part of healthcare! Learn what your primary care physician does to help you achieve whole-person wellness.Read