A women’s well-check exam is the best way to maintain an overall healthy lifestyle and catch or prevent certain medical conditions and diseases that may arise. These annual check-ups, offered by the family doctors of Plano Village Health Partners, include breast exams, heart and lung screening, a cholesterol screening, skin screenings, pap smears, and bone-mineral density screenings. Additionally, basic lab and urine screenings can also be conducted. Furthermore, patients can choose particular gynecology and wellness services depending on their needs, including STD testing, fertility evaluation and any physician-ordered bloodwork. The Plano, TX family doctors at Village Health Partners will also look at high or low blood pressure and other screenings to monitor whether medication or a diet change is necessary.
What is included?
Annual health check-ups are strongly recommended and can include any or all of the following preventative tests:
- Breast exams should take place annually from age 20, and mammograms should be received annually from age 40.
- Heart health can be monitored during your regular annual check-up. A cholesterol screening should be taken in your early twenties then repeated every 5 years until the age of 45. If you have a cholesterol level over 200, have a family history of heart disease or are 45 and older, annual cholesterol screenings are recommended.
- Annual skin screenings are important for early detection of melanoma, the second most common cancer for women. If you are at high risk based on lifestyle, personal medical history or skin conditions, mole and freckle screenings are recommended twice a year.
- Pap smears are recommended every 1-2 years from age 21 depending on lifestyle and personal health history.
- Bone-mineral density screenings should begin at age 65 and reoccur every 5 years afterward to diagnose and manage the risk of osteoporosis.
"Dr Moon is an excellent physician. He keeps up with the latest medical literature and he educates patients on their conditions. He's also a nice guy and he never rushes through an appointment."- D.D. / Google / Feb 11, 2017
"I've used VHP for a long time now, and have always been treated very well there. My previous doctor left, so I decided to try one of their new doctors that had transferred to Mckinney from another location, Dr. Yao. I was very impressed. Dr. Yao spent a lot of time with me, was very personable and intelligent, and asked all the right questions. More importantly, he listened well, and established a great doctor/patient relationship for future visits. When I left his office, I told him he was definitely my new doctor. Don't hesitate to give him a try."- S.H. / Google / Aug 30, 2019
"Very friendly staff and nice service."- S.P. / Google / Aug 30, 2019
"I will be forever grateful to Dr. Fullington as he found my husband's heart murmur during an annual exam. While many are mild, my husband's heart murmur ended up being life threatening. He had open heart surgery less than 4 months after Dr. Fullington first heart the heart murmur. Without Dr. Fullington telling my husband that he needed to have the heart murmur checked out by a cardiologist, my husband might not be around right now. The heart surgeon told my husband that he was at high risk of having a major cardiac event. Thank you, Dr. Fullington!"- M.H. / Google / Aug 29, 2019
"My experience with Dr. Yao has been amazing! He’s a knowledgeable doctor and I would recommend all my family and friends to him!"- N.C. / Google / Aug 29, 2019
Common Health Issues
Healthy Tips for Women
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle with balanced nutrition and regular exercise are important factors for overall wellness. Our Plano doctors also recommend:
- Take a daily women’s multivitamin that includes calcium and iron. Calcium help maintains bone density, and iron can prevent anemia. Recommended daily values vary based on age and pregnancy.
- Protect your skin. Wear sunscreen and preventative clothing outdoors.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking can cause health problems like lung cancer and fertility issues.
- Heart disease is the number one cause of death for women. Help your heart by de-stressing, exercising regularly and limiting salt intake.
Make Wellness a Priority
Our medical practice houses some of the top women’s health specialists. We want to prevent any unforeseen medical conditions as well as tackle any diagnosis, which is why we recommend annual women’s wellness check-ups. Our medical team is to guide patients through developing a healthier lifestyle and overall wellness.
Plan Your Visit
- Average Procedure Time
- 1 Hour