WE CAN ALL HELP PREVENT SUICIDE.
Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States – the 2nd leading cause of death among people 15-24. Eight out of 10 people thinking about suicide give some sign of their intentions. Here are some of the warning signs to help determine whether a friend or loved one is a risk for suicide, especially if the behavior is new, has increased or is related to a painful loss or change:
- Talking about wanting to die or to kill themselves
- Looking for a way to kill themselves like searching online or buying a gun
- Talking about feeling helpless or having no reason to live
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Increasing their use of alcohol or drugs
- Acting anxious, agitated or behaving recklessly
- Giving away prized possessions
- Withdrawing or isolating themselves
- Displaying extreme mood swings.
By starting the conversation with a person in crisis, providing support, and directing help to those who need it - we can help save a life. Counselors at Village Health Partners are here to help with that support. Call us.